Flight Deck Brewing opened to the public in early 2017, with the drive to provide greater-Brunswick with a destination brewery, casual social gathering space, and family-friendly venue for building our community.
Located in the former Small Arms Range of the Brunswick Naval Air Station (now Brunswick Landing), our unique and welcoming Tasting Room was named "Best in Maine" by Down East Magazine.
In the first year of operation, we served 98% of the beer we made in our Tasting Room – and had to push off our initial distribution plans to keep up. Starting in 2018, our beer will be available in cans at select retail and restaurant/bar locations across Maine.
With a constantly evolving tap list, food trucks, regular live music, and plenty of space to hang out with your dog (and/or human kids, too), we hope to see you soon!
Flight Deck is located on Brunswick Landing, the redeveloped Brunswick Naval Air Station.
The Air Station was active from WW2 through 2011, when it was closed and handed over to the Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority (MRRA). Since then, over 100 businesses have made Brunswick Landing home, bringing thousands of jobs with them. We're fortunate to be a part of this thriving community!
Flight Deck's home is in the former Small Arms Range - a rectangular, bullet-proof concrete building which we sliced and diced to transform into a sunny, warm, inviting space. As you walk from the entrance down "the Range" to the tasting room, you'll pass through 800lb doors and see pock marks on the walls from our building's former life. Look a bit more carefully, and you'll see evidence of our extensive re-use of materials from other buildings on the Landing.
COMING SOON: A map showing recreational trails and other family-friendly activities available on Brunswick Landing!
Becoming Flight Deck
Transforming the former Small Arms Range into a brewery & tasting room was quite the adventure!
History of "the base"
Thanks to the Brunswick Naval Museum, our next-door neighbors, for this great information!
The Brunswick Naval Air Station occupies 1487 acres. The town of Brunswick donated part of this land including a municipal airport that would become the core of the air station.
World War II
Brunswick Naval Air Station was built in March 1943 and commissioned on April 15th of that year. The original mission of NAS Brunswick was to train and form up Royal Navy Fleet Arm pilots to fly squadrons of the Chance Vought F4U Corsair and the Grumman TBF Avenger and F6F Hellcat for the British Naval Command.
The first squadron to arrive BNAS was the heavier than air scouting squadron (VS1D1). During World War II, BNAS was used as a base to carry out anti-submarine warfare missions 24 hours a day. The base also supported other naval auxiliary air facilities in Maine, including the Casco Bay NAAF, Lewiston NAAF, Sanford NAAF, Rockland NAAF, and Bar Harbor NAAF.
Post World War II
When Japan surrendered to allied forces on August 15, 1945 World War II ended and NAS Brunswick was scheduled for deactivation. It was deactivated in October 1946.
The land reverted to caretaker status and the buildings were leased jointly by the University of Maine and Bowdoin College. In 1949 The University of Maine and Bowdoin College terminated their leases and facility operation was taken over by the Brunswick Flying Service. Shortly thereafter the Navy selected the station as a potential Center for development of “services to the Fleet.”
The Cold War (1950s)
After North Korea crossed the 38th parallel on June 15, 1950 several commands at the Brunswick Naval Air Station were recommissioned. On March 15, 1951 Brunswick Naval Air Station was recommissioned as a Naval air facility. The Brunswick Naval Air Station was designated for development into a Master Jet Base and new construction began on to 8000 foot runways, and new facilities to replace the temporary structures of World War II, including an operations tower capable of handling the needs of a state-of-the-art Naval Air Station. Two outlying fields were also planned to be built, one for gunnery and one for carrier practice landings.
Squadrons based at NAS Brunswick contributed to the Korean war effort by assuming responsibilities of other squadrons that were deployed to the Pacific theater.
In 1959, the Brunswick Naval Air Station’s primary mission was supporting Fleet Air Wing Three composed of squadrons 7, 10, 11, 21, 23, and 26. These squadrons tracked Soviet submarines in the North Atlantic area using planes such as the P2V Neptune and Privateer PB4Y-2
In 1962 NAS Brunswick and Fleet Air Wing Five began the transition to the P-3A Orion marking the beginning of a new era in Naval Patrol Aviation. The P-3A Orion and P2V Neptune gained a national notoriety during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. It was their surveillance of Soviet ships in the Atlantic Ocean that led to a safe resolution.
Fleet Air Wing Five aircraft also played an important part in America’s early manned space programs in 1965 and 1966, helping to locate Mercury and Gemini capsules after splashdowns.
In 1966, Wing Five began deployments in the Western Pacific. Based at Naval Station Sangley Point in the Philippines, squadrons flew patrol and combat missions in support of Seventh Fleet operations in South East Asia throughout the years of U.S. involvement in Vietnam.
Post Cold War
On August 2, 1990 president Saddam Hussein launched an invasion of Kuwait. In response the United States launched Desert Shield as a build up to Desert Storm. Patrol squadron Eight participated in joint operations during Desert Storm, flying combat sorties in an effort to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi forces.
During the mid-1990s with the breakup and subsequent conflict in the former public of Yugoslavia, patrol squadrons 8, 10, 11, and 26 from the Brunswick Naval Air Station flew countless sorties in the Adriatic Sea in support of Operation Sharp Guard. Patrol squadron 10 was the first VP squadron to conduct offensive missile attacks since Vietnam in the 1970s.
At the dawn of the 21st century squadrons on the Brunswick Naval Air Station were involved in several operations, including Operation Joint Guardian in Kosovo, and Operation Deliberate Forge in Bosnia, supporting US and NATO troops. After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 those same squadrons flew missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in the Middle East.
Crews based out of the Brunswick Naval Air Station flew homeland defense maritime patrols off the coast as part of Operation Noble Eagle and additional assets were surged in support of OEF operations.
Fleet Air Wing Five squadrons were present during the commencement of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
FINAL YEARS (2005 – 2011)
In 2005 the Brunswick Naval Air Station was listed on the base realignment and closure list, and began to shut down with a mandated closure date of September 2011. In May 2008 Captain Will Fitzgerald relieved Captain George Womack, becoming the station’s 36th and final commander. He was tasked with the responsibility of closing the base.
In September 2008 the Brunswick Naval Air Station hosted The Great State of Maine Air Show for a final time. More than 150,000 people from Maine and surrounding states attended the air show.
December 23, 2009 marked the last day of Navy reserve activity at NAS Brunswick. The base was decommissioned on May 31st 2011. Navy officials handed over the remaining property to the Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority.